Re: Kernel Panic when adding support for live installer

----- Mail original -----
De: humbert olivier

>Hi,
>
>I've been playing around live build for a few weeks and been able to achieve a lot of what I want to do thanks to a .pdf documentation (which I believe is up-to-date) provided on IRC by chals, cheers for that, really appreciated.
>
>I'm building basically a Debian Jessie MATE live image with live build 4.0.5-1 taken from the git repo and build following the information in the documentation.
>
>My issue is as following : after being able to add a personal repo, some packages lists, building a skel/ folder ans other stuffs, I'm trying to get the debian installer icon from the MATE desktop when running as live (USB in my case if that can be helpful).
>
>Here is the issue explained with a cut-down example of the command I'm using :
>

> -----------
> mkdir -p live/auto
> cp /usr/share/doc/live-build/examples/auto/* live/auto/
> cd live/
>
> pluma auto/config
>  * adding :
>         --architectures i386 \
>         --archive-areas "main" \
>         --debian-installer live \
>
> mkdir -p config/package-lists/
> pluma config/package-lists/bureau.list.chroot
>  * adding :
>         task-mate-desktop
>         mate-system-tools
>         caja-open-terminal
>
> echo 'debian-installer-launcher' > config/package-lists/live.list.chroot
> ------------
>
> Then I'm building the ISO with the command : su -c "lb config && lb clean && lb build"
> When the ISO is done, I'm copying it to a USB-key with : su -c "cp live-image-i386.hybrid.iso /dev/sdb"
> following by a "sync" command before unmounting the USB key to try it.
>

> When booting from this USB key, I've got a "kernel panic" at boot time which I don't really understand where it come from.
>
> Note that if I'm removing the line "--debian-installer live \ " from auto/config and the file config/package-lists/live.list.chroot, build the ISO and boot on it, everything is working fine : I can access the MATE desktop without any trouble (ie: no kernel panic at boot time).
>

> Note as well that I've been trying to add the lines :
>         --linux-packages linux-image-3.16.0-4 \
>         --linux-flavours "586" \
> to auto/config but unfortunately, that makes no difference.
>

> Info : strangelishely, I've got mentions of 2 different kernels in the build.log : linux-image-586 and linux-image-686-pae .
>

> So I've been reading the whole doc and searching into the mailing-list archive and have been unable so far to find what I'm doing wrong or what I'm forgetting so far.
>
> Any help will be much appreciated here.
>
> Thanks for reading.
> Olivier

Digging a bit more and trying different stuffs, I just saw that I've got this in the build.log :

libisofs: WARNING : Can't add /firmware/firmware-linux-free_3.3_all.deb to Joliet tree. Symlinks can only be added to a Rock Ridge tree.

I'm unsure about what it is, but given the definition of this package ("Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kernel"), I think it could be related.
Would be great if someone could enlight me about this.

Thanks
Olivier