Re: Is it possible to have squashfs inside initrd?

Am 20.09.2014 um 15:12 schrieb Daniel Lindgren:

> We pretty much just use Notepad (Windows again) to edit the menu files.
> My experience with "DO NOT EDIT ..." and similar instructions is that
> they aren't foolprof enough. Douglas Adams wrote "a common mistake that
> people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to
> underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools"  ... but we still have to
> try. :/

I don't see why changing debian-live would improve that situation.
If your lusers can edit those files, they can wreak havoc by
fat-fingering their keyboards and introducing typos.
Place the note in the file, make it a company policy that the edit
script has to be used; preferably, introduce version control.
Someone edits a file by hand and breaks things -> disciplinary action,
period.

If you cater to a society of incompetent, irresponsible idiots, you only
nurture the growth of such imbeciles.  Sometimes people only learn
through pain, and this is a case where it seems appropriate.  Either
they're trustworthy enough to be administrators, or they will learn the
hard way that dicking with productions systems by skipping security
precautions and established procedures will bite them personally in the
rear, and not just the company.

Well, look at if from my point of view:

Option 1: Update debian-live to accept the initrd as a search option for the squashfs file. if Daniel Baumann is correct it only requires a few of lines to enable the functionality.

Option 2: Create scripts that autogenerate menu files for PXELINUX, introduce a company policy that everyone use the scripts, introduce version control (in a Windows environment, not that easy), start policing my coworkers and punish them if they ever make a mistake.

I know what option I would prefer. I'm happy to try to hunt down and send a patch with the necessary script updates, but it would probably be a quicker and better result if someone that knows the inner workings of debian-live did it. it would certainly be highly appreciated by me and probably others (judging by that old patch I found in the mailing list archive).

Cheers,
Daniel