Re: Is it possible to have squashfs inside initrd?

Am 20.09.2014 um 12:36 schrieb Daniel Lindgren:

> I've been trying to create a PXE bootable live Debian without the need
> to fetch the squashfs file from a network server. The use case is an
> easy way to clean hdds on computers that are to be sold or disposed. I'm
> aware of DBAN, it's not an option anymore since it's become payware

What keeps you from using the free version as it is available on
sourceforge (dban.sorceforge.net)?

> I would like to integrate filesystem.squashfs in initrd, if possible.
> The file transfer performance issue is solved with using http/iPXE
> instead of tftp.

If you use http, you need an http server.  So why not just place the
squashfs on the http server as well?  The method already exists, no need
to reinvent the wheel.

-Stefan