Re: Is it possible to have squashfs inside initrd?

Am 20.09.2014 um 15:12 schrieb Daniel Lindgren:

> If I understand what you mean, instead of just delivering a text file
> the web server would execute a script that generates the text file on
> the fly? We have a system of menus and submenus for PXELINUX, they would
> all have to be generated by some CGI script(s). Might be doable, but it
> would certainly be less work to just insert filesystem.squashfs into the
> initrd.

No, not all of them, only the ones that contain the fetch ... line.
Also, the easy way would be to do it like this
menu -> menu.template
menu becomes a link to the script
Script knows that it needs to read/parse/patch $scriptname.template

If there's no fetch involved, it will just deliver the unchanged template.

[...]

> We pretty much just use Notepad (Windows again) to edit the menu files.
> My experience with "DO NOT EDIT ..." and similar instructions is that
> they aren't foolprof enough. Douglas Adams wrote "a common mistake that
> people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to
> underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools"  ... but we still have to
> try. :/

I don't see why changing debian-live would improve that situation.
If your lusers can edit those files, they can wreak havoc by
fat-fingering their keyboards and introducing typos.
Place the note in the file, make it a company policy that the edit
script has to be used; preferably, introduce version control.
Someone edits a file by hand and breaks things -> disciplinary action,
period.

If you cater to a society of incompetent, irresponsible idiots, you only
nurture the growth of such imbeciles.  Sometimes people only learn
through pain, and this is a case where it seems appropriate.  Either
they're trustworthy enough to be administrators, or they will learn the
hard way that dicking with productions systems by skipping security
precautions and established procedures will bite them personally in the
rear, and not just the company.

-Stefan