Re: Is it possible to have squashfs inside initrd?

Am 20.09.2014 um 13:55 schrieb Daniel Lindgren:

>     So use a short DNS name for the http server, and have your DNS resolve
>     it to the proper IP depending on the subnet you're in.
>

> Don't think that's possible, we use the same central (Windows) DNS
> server for all scopes.

Gah, yuck.

> Also, when I've been fiddling around with this, fetch only worked if I
> used the IP in the URL, not the name of the server.

Indeed, that bug/limitation still seems to be there.
However, you can provide different pxelinux configuration files for
different networks.

See
http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX#How_do_I_Configure_PXELINUX.3F
for that.

So, to define a file for 192.168.0.x, you'd use C0A800 as file name,
likewise, for 192.168.1.x, you'd use C0A801 as file name, ... and for
192.168.255.x you'd use C0A8FF.

And in each file you'd hard-code the proper http server IP for that network.

If you need help converting IPs to hex, use
http://www.miniwebtool.com/ip-address-to-hex-converter

Also, you might be able to use some pxelinux tricks to your advantage:

http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX#Can_I_send_information_to_PXELINUX_via_special_options_in_the_DHCP_response.3F

http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX#Fetching_images_via_HTTP.2FFTP

-Stefan