Re: Common bootloaders configuration thoughts

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 7:26 PM, adrian15 <adrian15sgd@gmail.com> wrote:
> El 17/08/14 15:06, Daniel Baumann escribió:
>
>> On 08/17/2014 03:37 AM, adrian15 wrote:
>>>
>>> In one hand I want to be able to rename Debian Live distro into
>>> Something distro by just changing one variable. And at the same time I
>>> want that multi-live usb tools detect the iso as a Debian live so that
>>> they don't have to implement their code for each and everyone of the
>>> Debian derivatives.
>>

>> lb is moving, albeit slowly, to that eventually, yes.
>

> I am mostly interested in renaming distro name, specially, at the bootloader
> stage.
>
> If I can help on any of these please tell me how would you go on how to
> implement it. I know how would I do it but I don't know every detail about
> live-build and, well,...

Hi Adrian,

On the one hand let me tell you that as far as I can tell, live-build
has been constantly evolving ever since its early inception. What is
more, it has to be constantly tweaked to work with every new release,
which after all, means constant evolution. This is to say, it is a
moving target (or at least that is my experience since I'm following
the project's development).

One of the aspects that live-build is more conscious of is about
derivative projects. live-build is a more and more derivative-friendly
tool which takes very seriously the need to debrand certain things as
much as possible. (For example, the new lb init tool includes the
--project option to cater for supported derivative projects).

> if Live-build has to be rewritten into python (Has this even started?) so...
> not sure if my contribution would be worth.

Yes, some scripts (mainly the bootstrap related ones) have already
been re-written into python by Daniel. My perception of it is that
this is an ongoing process, which will take a certain amount of time
and some really hard work but it will eventually be worth it.

On a personal note: I know you are a grub expert. This makes you the
right person for the job. I'm very happy you finally decided to
implement grub support for such an awesome project as debian live is.

And last but not least, the most important thing is that your
contribution is really worth the time and effort you put in.

Have a nice summer holiday!

--
chals
www.chalsattack.com