Re: nicer option for enabling persistence than hexediting isolinux/live.cfg?

Greetings,

On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 6:55 PM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
On Wed, 2014-04-02 at 15:44 +0200, Daniel Reichelt wrote:

> presuming your boot medium is an USB stick, instead of dd'ing the
> hybrid-iso to it you could partition/format it/make it bootable with
> syslinux manually and copy the /isolinux from the image and the iso
> itself to the stick's root and extend the copied boot-menu with
> persistent-labels as needed...

I'd like something that works out of the box without using anything
other than dd and the official jessie or later ISO images.

Please know that I do understand, this is one of the many reasons why I and others have worked to create and improve live-medium-install, see:

http://install.live-systems.org

And for the script see:

http://live.debian.net/gitweb/?p=live-tools.git;a=blob_plain;f=bin/live-medium-install;hb=refs/heads/debian-next

Also when the official jessie or later ISO images are built, I see no reason why live-medium-install will not work with them with only minor adjustments, such as the version number. I believe it would be very nice if when official jessie images are released, that live-medium-install (currently in debian-next of live-tools) could be shipped so users could create an experience similar to what you want, which I imagine many others as well would enjoy.

On a bit of a side note, when live-medium-install started it just booted iso files, but with the wonderful live-boot 3x, you can stack partial squashfs updates as service packs or custom settings. So now live-medium-install uses the webboot files as a basis for the install.

Perhaps you would try live-medium-install and if you like, you assist to improve with ideas or code patches so users such as you can have the experience they desire.

Thanks.