Re: nicer option for enabling persistence than hexediting isolinux/live.cfg?

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 7:54 AM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

> I could have just rebuilt the ISO but wanted to avoid that so hdd images
> aren't useful because I would have to build them myself.

That is fair enough but my guess is that rebuilding an iso image might
take longer or rather involve more manual work than building an image
from scratch. The requirements for creating a build system are
relatively low. See,

http://live.debian.net/manual/stable/html/live-manual.en.html#103

Besides, live-build is a very small package:

chals@odd:~$ aptitude show live-build | grep Size
Uncompressed Size: 825 k

With very few dependencies:

chals@odd:~$ aptitude show live-build | grep Depends
Depends: debootstrap | cdebootstrap | cdebootstrap-static

I think that the keyword here is *flexibility*.  Downloading pre-built
images is ok for many different reasons but they leave little space
for flexibility, so to speak. However building images yourself is a
highly gratifying activity which leaves plenty of room for
flexibility.

I hope to have given you a good reason to try. In the end, you might
end up thinking "I wish I had done it before." That is my wish :)

Have fun!

--
chals
www.chalsattack.com