Re: nicer option for enabling persistence than hexediting isolinux/live.cfg?

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 5:32 AM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wanted to enable persistence without having to remember to enter it
> every time I boot. I couldn't find a way to do that so I hexedited the
> ISO image, found where the isolinux/live.cfg content was located, added
> the persistence parameter and overwrote the now broken failsafe menu
> entry with newline characters. Is there any way to enable persistence
> without entering it on every boot?

Hi,

Unlike ISO images, hdd images are re-writable or better expressed in
this case, can be easily edited, so in order to modify the boot
parameters that you want to modify, without having to type them each
time I guess these kind of images would be the preferred ones to work
with.

Now, since hdd images are not pre-built to be offered for download,
you should build them yourself (it only takes some careful preparation
of your configuration but it, your configuration, can be re-used again
and again) or as an alternative use the online builder at

http://cgi.build.live-systems.org/cgi-bin/live-build

>Perhaps the initramfs could enable
> persistence by default if there are partitions or filesystems labelled
> persistence with the right configuration files in them?

Not being a technical person myself, I have no idea whether that is
doable or not. Sorry. But from my humble point of view, I see the
persistence boot parameter as an option. There are certain cases in
which you want persistence enabled, then you add the parameter at boot
time. In other cases you will not want persistence enabled, so it
shouldn't be automatically added.

But as always, it only depends on the use case, which can be very
different from one person to another.

Have fun.

--
chals