Re: The Status page of Debian-Live is cryptic

On 05/30/2011 09:53 PM, shirish शिरीष wrote:
> I am/was interested to see if any progress
> has been made in debian-live.

like Ben already said, the status page is a page showing the current
failures for people building their own images.

people that build their own images are expected to have a good
understanding of debian internals, otherwise they would not build images
themselfs and just use the prebuilt ones.

if that's unclear, we can add a introductory sentence to that page to
make it more explicit, patches welcome.

if you are looking for debian-live news, there are the news and release
pages on live.debian.net, and the changelogs of the live-* packages.

> a. I want to use a live-CD to check out Debian, which one should I use ?

like Ben already said, the normal ways it to go to debian.org -> Getting
Debian -> Try live images

and then you're here: http://www.debian.org/CD/live/

which will explain all your questions.

a more technical readme about the different flavours is available at
http://live.debian.net/cdimage/README

> Now, apparently or shallowy , it seems the answers to both the
> questions may be/might be live-build2.x . If my assumption is correct,
> then why isn't it given as a recommendation for a new user .

we usually don't duplicate information. it's implicitly clear from all
main debian documentation that users shall use stable, unless they know
what their doing.

> Lastly, the workaround given as the link
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-live/2011/05/msg00144.html should
> either have preceeded or have instructions before, during or after
> downloading the live-build how to add that repo. because without a
> functioning stable kernel (with aufs) things cannot go far.

the audience of people building images is already limited to people
knowing debian, and those that are building sid images (and this is what
this bug is all about), is even much, much smaller.

there is no point in going through all extra loops all the times to
explain everything regarding sid for each and everyone. remember, the
target audience of sid is developers, not normal users.

Regards,
Daniel

--
Address:        Daniel Baumann, Donnerbuehlweg 3, CH-3012 Bern
Email:          daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net