eth0: no IPv6 router present

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 12:00:50PM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 01:44:40PM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:57:35AM -0500, W Paul Mills wrote:
> > >
> > > Thomas H. George wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > The network is still unreachable although all the machines
> > on the lan respond to pings.
> >
> > Could the problem be the IP address 169.254.122.180 is still assigned to
> > eth0?  I have been unable to remove this and it is always the first item
> > in the output of ifconfig.  It is now followed by an entry for eth0:0
> > which contains the 192.168.2.102 address.  If the firewall sees
> > 169.254.122.180 it will drop the message on the floor.
>
> can I suggest you us ip (from the iproute package).
>
> If you interface was originally a dhcp interface, you have to kill
> dhcpclient as well as assigning a new address to the interface.
>
> try
> ip addr show dev eth0
>
> then
> find and kill any dhcp clients looking on eth0
> ip a flush dev eth0
>
> then add your address information
>
> ip a a dev eth0 192.168.2.102/24
>
> use
>
> ip route show
>
> to show your route table
>
> Alex

The ip commands removed the dhcp clients and assigned the address
192.168.2.104 to eth0 but still no gateway .  I am reading an online
manual and tried adding 'via 192.168.2.102' to the ip command but this
was clearly wrong. ip responded, "Either 'local' is a duplicate or 'via'
is a garbage.  I'll study the manual more closely.  In any event iproute
is clearly the way to go and fortunately "-d lenny" installed it when I
built the Debian Live CD.

Tom