eth0: no IPv6 router present

I built a Debian Live CD with lh_config -a i386 -d lenny --packages 'gdm
openoffice . . .' plus copies of several of my configuration files
including /etc/network/interfaces.  All the packages work fine but the
system can't connect to our lan which uses static ip addresses.  During
bootup attempts are made to establish DHCP connections.  When the bootup
is complete I replace the interfaces file with a copy of the parent
machine's interfaces file and run /etc/init.d/networking restart.  The
program responds "Reconfiguring network interfaces . . .done"  but the
lan in unreachable.  Checking tail /var/log/syslog I find an entry
"eth0: no IPv6 router present".  Since the lan is connected to eth0 and
the parent computer has no problem connecting I don't understand what's
wrong or missing.

Tom