Problems building on Ubuntu my ArtistX 0.5

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 07:19:49PM +0200, Marco Ghirlanda wrote:
> Hi all, working for ArtistX 0.5 (Sid) on Ubuntu Feisty with Debian Live
> v.47 I have this two little problems:
>
> - putting a LOT (>2000) .deb in the chroot_local_packages dir stops Live
> Helper with a "argument too long" error.

If you have so many local debs, don't you need a local repository?

Do you really need *all* of them installed?

> Same is if I move during the interactive phase all my debs in
> chroot/var/cache/apt/archives and dpkg -i *.deb.
> I guess this is not Live Helper related (cp gives me the same error, I
> have to use nautilus as root...).
>
> Workaround: move all necessary debs in chroot's apt cache and then just
> fire up aptitude in the interactive shell and install ONEbyONE (sigh!)
> all necessary packages.

The error is because a command cannot be longer than ~128k characters.

One common workaround:

  for pkg in *.deb; do dpkg -i $pkg; done

But then you would have issues with packages that depend on one another.

You could separate them to smaller groups and install them in the proper
order or something.

You could set the default to aptitudeand install, or whatever.

But the real correct way: add packages to a local repository, and
isntall the packages you really need through a local packages list from
there.

What exactly do those 2000 packages do? Do they depend on other Debian
packages? What are the dependencies between them?

> - My final iso works only in the Virtual World (Vmware Server,
> Virtualbox....) at Vga 640x480.
> On ANY other computer I've tried (Laptop Thinkpad T42p, HP63xx series,
> assembled ones and Desktops: Asus P1, Assembled Athlon....) it will
> bring me down to a full shell on the live system (not busybox) and I can
> start X by doing: sudo gdm and then it will work just fine.
>
> Workaround: None for the moment (tried to install sequentially or all
> together mdetect, discover1, acpid with no luck ).

If you force it to use the vesa X server?

> Any hints really appreciated, I wasn't seeing this on older ArtistX
> releases.
>
> I'm starting thinking again to a GUI (Live Magic is far too complicate
> for Joe user).
> No other features except (in any order):
> - step 1 choose your distro (Stable, Testing and Unstable)
> - step 2 select & copy three files for graphic customization (splash.png
> of isolinux, background.png for splashy and debian-blueish-wallpaper.svg
> for gnome wallpaper)

Custom text in a boot screen?

> - step 3 launch aptitude and let he user add software

This does not factor in tasks.

> - step 4 interactive shell

The process of making an image should be reproducable. Hence it should
not include an interactive step. Well, it's always possible to add one,
but it should be discourged.

I do realise that a distribution based on Unstable / Testing is
non-reproducable by nature. In fact, you should probably base your image
on a specific snapshot fron snapshot.debian.net .

When I work on a CD of my live distro (based on Etch, with a number of
packages backported from Sid) I generally assume Etch "doesn't change":
each version relies on current up-to-date Etch. But for the backported
and locally-generated packaged I'm not as optimistic.

On normal work I tage packages from the "working distribution" that is
called "etch" (see under http://updates.xorcom.com/rapid ). Just before
I release, I branch out ('reprepro copy') a copy of it:
live-etch-<version> . e.g: live-etch-1-2-0 .

> - step 5 chose distro name,

Where is the distro name used? This should be the first thing to choose,
and hopefully should seed other things.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com