Problems building on Ubuntu my ArtistX 0.5

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 11:05:56PM +0300, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> > - step 2 select & copy three files for graphic customization (splash.png
> > of isolinux, background.png for splashy and debian-blueish-wallpaper.svg
> > for gnome wallpaper)
>
> Custom text in a boot screen?
> > - step 5 chose distro name,
>
> Where is the distro name used? This should be the first thing to
> choose, and hopefully should seed other things.
>
> > hostname, username and pwd (ArtistX in the
> > isolinux menu and as the username and hostname)

What the OP is talking about here is "branding" or "badging".  That
is, everywhere it currently says "Debian Live" he wants it to say
"Frobozz? 2008" or "Tim's Super Rescue Disk".  Splash screens,
wallpapers, and the ISO volume ID are probably the most important.

In some corporate environments you sell essentially the same software
as multiple different products (varying in cost by hundreds or
thousands of dollars) simply by flipping a switch in your application
from "enable base functionality" to "enable premium functionality".
(You might be familiar with this model if you've used a shareware
program that required you to "register" it to activate some features.)

In this model, it's very desirable that it be cheap (i.e. minimal
effort) to rebadge the different editions.  This makes customers feel
that the "premium" version is "worth" the extra cost.

> I do realise that a distribution based on Unstable / Testing is
> non-reproducable by nature. In fact, you should probably base your image
> on a specific snapshot fron snapshot.debian.net .

Argh, I wish I'd thought of that four years ago!