ctrl-alt-f2 does not get prompt

Nick Golder wrote:
> I am getting '/bin/sh: can't access tty: job control turned off'
> even when I try explicitly using lenny:

landing in the initramfs means, that the system was not beeing able to
mount the rootfs.

that translates to one or more of the three following things:

  * you lack either unionfs-modules or aufs-modules, matching the kernel
    you're booting.

  * you lack squashfs-modules, matching the kernel you're booting.

  * you're using aufs but have not specified union=aufs as bootparam,
    or you're using unionfs but have not specified union-unionfs as
    bootparam.

    (in casper, unionfs is default; in live-initramfs, aufs is default,
    so in your case, i would just state it explicit to be on the safe
    side)

> The host machine that is running l-h was pinned for for etch/lenny/sid
> that could have generated a dependency issue.

the host machine doesn't matter. we are building everything in the
chroot, so nothing of the host system makes it into the live system.

Email:          daniel.baumann at panthera-systems.net