Debian live with a newer kernel?

On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 10:00:41AM -0400, Chris Ross wrote:
>    I took a look at just apt-get install'ing linux-image-2.6-686, to
> update the kernel on the squashfs (and then copying the pieces out
> into the ISO), but after doing that the system no longer boots into
> multiuser, it just stops in busy-box halfway up.  So, there's clearly
> a stage I don't understand about how the LiveCD is put together.

The following applies to old, old casper images, and is probably out
of date: something needs to copy the kernel and ramdisk out of the
squashfs filesytem to the casper/ dir of the outermost iso image.  If
the names in casper/ change, you'll also want to update the syslinux
.conf file.

Doubtless live-helper has scripts to do the dirty work for you, but I
don't know what they are.
--
Trent Buck