Re: ad hoc license: is it DFSG-conformant ? [IMPROVED VERSION]

Jerome BENOIT <calculus@rezozer.net> writes:

> Finally I get a feed back from the upstream.

Thank you, Jerome, for engaging the copyright holders effectively to
improve the freedom of software recipients.

> Please find below the new version: what do you think ?

> […]
> [[Modified versions of the software and works derived from it
> may be distributed under the same terms and conditions.]]

This grants explicit freedom to redistribute under the same license
conditions, satisfying DFSG §3.

In combination with the other freedoms granted, that makes the work free
software by my interpretation.

The copyright holder could improve this further by avoiding custom
license texts entirely, and instead granting license under a
widely-known free software license text like the Apache License 2.0.
That would have the benefit of having a much greater assurance than the
small group of people's opinions in this forum.

--
 \         “If you can do no good, at least do no harm.” —_Slapstick_, |
  `\                                                     Kurt Vonnegut |