Re: copyright years in the copyright file

Hi,

Sigh...  I expected better responses from this list.

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 07:07:46AM +1000, Riley Baird wrote:
> Before responding to the previous points, I'd just like to note
> something. GPL2 states that you must
>
> "conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate
> copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the notices
> that refer to this License and to the absence of any warranty;"

Let me just note few facts to avoid people getting wrong idea.

The quote text is from "TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION
AND MODIFICATION" of GPL2 and applies to the licensee.

This is exactly the reason why I as the licensee must not change the
upstream provided "copyright notice".

The upstream of the getmail writes this as his original code without
making copyright assignment to FSF.  He is the licensor and not the
licensee.  Thus, he is not bound by the quoted GPL2 license terms at
all.

Regards,

Osamu