Re: copyright years in the copyright file

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 01:39:40AM -0700, Walter Landry wrote:

I do not know your background to comment on this.

> Osamu Aoki <osamu_aoki_home@nifty.com> wrote:
> The information is still misleading to end-users.

??? So you expect user to read the all source code and get confused
finding some source start like this.  This is not a case where GUI code
is showing copyright in the HELP screen.  Also if the user thinks this
is released in last year, he does not loose anything next 49 years.  (It
is updated last year, stating last year here is correct.  Upstream is
not bothered to assert this year only.  Smart user can find out when
this code is updated in changelog which is dated this year.

> This makes it a minor bug.

Certainly not a functional bug.

> But it is still a bug.

Sigh... do you maintain packages?  Does any established DD telling this
kind thing?  Are you stating your thought only?

> Since upstream is not willing to fix it, Debian can.

Asserting this year's copyright for the sake of the upstream seems doing
too much for me as DD.  As upstream stated, asserting required by old US
law is history.  This is not needed under Berne convention any more.
VCS history records it.

> If Vincent is willing to do all of the work of preparing a correct
> patch, I do not see a good reason to refuse to apply the patch.

FYI: I have not got anything like that but only got annoying post to here.

I guess I should stop responding this thread unless someone with solid
reference tells me I am clearly wrong ...

Let's fix real bug.  I have RC bug and outdated libraries ...  Please
send me real patch fixing real patch.

Osamu