Re: New package algol68toc: terms of the copyright.

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 13:59:13 +0100 Sian Mountbatten wrote:

> Dear List
>
> Please find attached a copy of the copyright in all the source files of
> the algol68toc compiler.

Dear Sian,
thanks for contacting debian-legal and for trying to check the
DFSG-freeness of the package under consideration.

> You will note that the licence accords with the DFSG. I am of the
> opinion that the compiler
> package could go into the main Debian distribution.

Personally, I am not convinced.
Please see below.

[...]
>   (c)  any recipient  of such reproduction or amended version accept the
>        conditions set out in this legend.
[...]

Does this mean that anyone who wishes to redistribute verbatim or
modified copies of the Program has to *force* recipients to accept the
license (or anyway to *make sure* that recipients have accepted the
license)?

If this is the case, then I think that this restriction fails to meet
DFSG#1 and is also practically unsatisfiable with the current Debian
package distribution infrastructure (if I type "aptitude install
name-of-package", I become a recipient as soon as the package is
downloaded, before I have the opportunity of being asked whether
I accept the license).

This is, at least, my own personal opinion.
I hope it helps.

Bye.

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!