Re: Attribution with CC-BY-SA 3.0

On Sat, Sep 01, 2012 at 10:36:03PM +0200, Zoot Zoot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a contributor with the Free Software game project 0 A.D. (package name:
> 0ad <http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/0ad>).
>
> We've recently found out that someone is
> selling<http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=0+A.D.+RTS>copies of our
> game on eBay. Since the game is Free Software, we naturally
> have nothing against someone charging a fee for distributing it. Instead,
> our concern is that this particular vendor does so in a misleading manner,
> without stating that the game is a development version, full of bugs and
> missing many of the features listed on the vendor's page, and that it can
> be acquired free of cost online. We are worried that this behavior may lead
> to dissatisfied buyers and ultimately damage the reputation of our project.
> Thank you.

Hello Zoot Zoot, some of my friends are happy users of 0 A.D. thanks
for making it Free Software :).

Please consider another approach to try to prevent this problem, the
way that, AFAIK, most of other Free Software does:

State clearly, in your website, the things that you want to say to the
users, including those that maybe can buy the software from third
parties. Most of the people, before buying something, will do a web
search.

IMHO trying to fix this problem using copyright, only imposes more
restrictions on your target audience, this by example, could impose
new restrictions to Debian DVD sellers, and the "evil" people could
find a new way to do "evil" things to their customers.

(Also as gwolf stated imposes new restrictions and compatibility
problems to Free Software Developers)

IANAL

Cheers o/,

--