Re: Attribution with CC-BY-SA 3.0

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 01, 2012 at 10:36:03PM +0200, Zoot Zoot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a contributor with the Free Software game project 0 A.D. (package name:
> 0ad <http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/0ad>).
>
> We've recently found out that someone is
> selling<http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=0+A.D.+RTS>copies of our
> game on eBay. Since the game is Free Software, we naturally
> have nothing against someone charging a fee for distributing it. Instead,
> our concern is that this particular vendor does so in a misleading manner,
> without stating that the game is a development version, full of bugs and
> missing many of the features listed on the vendor's page, and that it can
> be acquired free of cost online. We are worried that this behavior may lead
> to dissatisfied buyers and ultimately damage the reputation of our project.
>
> For this reason, we have discussed adding an attribution clause to our
> CC-BY-SA 3.0 licensed artwork in the game that requires a seller to make
> any buyers aware that the game can be downloaded for free from our website
> prior to the purchase.
>
> To the best of my knowledge CC-BY-SA 3.0 affords us the ability to add such
> a clause, and to the best of my knowledge CC-BY-SA 3.0 is compatible with
> the DFSG.
>
> I would like to ask whether you all agree that adding such a clause to a
> Debian package would be compatible with the DFSG and other relevant
> guidelines?

Adding restriction in wrong way cause problem as others pointed out.

CC-BY-SA has:

Attribution — You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the
author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse
you or your use of the work).

Let's not touch this particular text but add text to do right
attribution.

You specify that the software distributed needs to display your web site
in prominent position.  If it is box, outer and front side.  If the
sales is done via web, in the prominent place of the web page listing
this software.

Then at your web site, you have prominent FREE DOWNLOAD icon.  No
discrimination problem with Debian this way.

Oh, notifying ebay may be good idea.   I do not know how ebay respond
but this product sales is clearly deceptive.

Regards,

Osamu