Re: a Free Platform License?

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011, "Ben Finney" <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> I think your desired effects for the license are not compatible with
> software freedom, as discussed earlier.

I don't think this is a fair characterization.  The effects
that I desire and the philosophy of free software are not
incompatible.  I think Hugo framed it quite well:

| It's not new that copyleft licences create problems of compatibility.
| But to create a license with the purpose of being discriminatory is
| another matter (and I don't think the licence text you provided
manages
| to achieve that; it's just creating another incompatible licence with
| conditions hard to respect that could indeed make life hard for a lot
of
| people, including those you want to make life hard)

> I don't think this is the forum for hashing out a new license text. This
> is a forum for discussing the legal effects of *works* in Debian.

This is reasonable.  It'd take quite a bit of time and energy
to forge a new license, and I realize everyone's volunteer time
is precious.  This list just seemed to be the most appropriate
forum for discussing a free software license designed to remove
an asymmetric advantage that free software developers have with
regard to platform dependence.  I'd like to thank everyone who
commented & shared their thoughts and concerns.

Kind Regards,

Clark