Re: a Free Platform License?

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 16:11:29 +0000 Simon McVittie wrote:

> The tl:dr version: just use the GPL, or the AGPL if you must.

My summary is somewhat similar: please just use the GNU GPL, and
nothing more restrictive than that (I don't think the GNU AfferoGPL v3
meets the DFSG, so please avoid that license, as well).

> I don't think whether your license is DFSG-compliant is the important
> issue here;

At least, not the only important issue...

> I think the important issue is that your proposed license is
> not well-understood, has practical problems, and is contributing to
> license proliferation. (Thoughts on DFSG compliance later.)

I agree that the proposed license has all these flaws.

> By being a copyleft license with more restrictions than the GPL, I believe
> your proposed license is non-GPL-compatible.

So do I.

[...]
> I for one would be reluctant to contribute significantly to a package under
> the license you propose;

I would also try hard to stay as away as possible from such a license.

> I'm already somewhat concerned about the AGPL,
> which raises some interesting practical problems (particularly if parts
> of an AGPL webapp are re-used in something that isn't a webapp).

I personally have major concerns about the GNU AfferoGPL v3, see below.

[...]
> Since I promised I'd mention DFSG-compliance-or-not: some debian-legal
> regulars disagree with the ftpmasters' decision to allow AGPL software
> into Debian.

Hello everybody! I am one of those debian-legal regulars!
If someone is interested in the details, please take a look at
http://bugs.debian.org/495721#28

> I personally think the AGPL is a Free license, but one with
> significant practical problems.

I definitely see significant practical problems in the GNU AfferoGPL
v3, but I also see some terms that fail to comply with the DFSG.

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!