Re: a Free Platform License?

On Friday, November 25, "Ben Finney" <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> "Clark C. Evans" <cce@clarkevans.com> writes:
> > I'm looking for a software license, which Debian would support, that
> > actively encourages use of free platforms; and consequently restricts
> > proprietary platforms.
>
> It's not clear from the rest of your message what you mean by "restrict
> proprietary platforms". Your message is unclear on the specific effects
> you want from a license.

I'm looking for a license that discriminates against proprietary
platforms.  I'm open to any specific effects that may do this,
subject, of course, to what is consistent with Debian's values.

> If you mean “restrict the recipient of the work so they are
> not permitted to use the work on proprietary platforms”, that
> is clearly a non-free restriction.

I understand that it's traditional for Free Software to impose
restrictions primarily as a condition of distribution; holding
unfettered use as a founding principle.  However, it's also true
that the interpretation and practice of a tradition may change
over time to reflect new environment and challenges.

Personally, if I were addressing this in a vacuum, I'd release
with a BSD style license having a one line clause that restricts
usage to only free & open platforms.  This would accomplish my
objective in a clear, if naive manner.  However, I realize that
this licensing approach is unacceptable to many here and hence
wouldn't be accepted by Debian (would it be OK in non-free?).

All that said, I did write exactly what I meant:

| Would Debian consider a "Free Platform License" (FPL) derived
| from the AGPLv3, but with the "System Library" exception
| removed (as well as the GNU specific prologue)?

Kind Regards,

Clark