Re: a Free Platform License?

"Clark C. Evans" <cce@clarkevans.com> writes:

> I'm looking for a license that discriminates against proprietary
> platforms. I'm open to any specific effects that may do this, subject,
> of course, to what is consistent with Debian's values.

I'm pretty sure that the above stated intention is not compatible with
software freedom.

“Discriminate against proprietary platforms” seems to necessarily entail
discriminating against a field of use for the work, which violates an
essential freedom for the recipient of the work.

> However, I realize that this [naive custom-BSD] licensing approach is
> unacceptable to many here and hence wouldn't be accepted by Debian

That's not quite how it works. This forum is for discussing legal
effects of actual works in, or proposed for, Debian. (So it would help
if we had the software work to examine.) Discussions here don't
determine acceptance or otherwise of a work into Debian in the way
you're implying.

Instead, the decision is made by the team known as “ftpmasters”. This
discussion forum is available to them as a resource for their
consideration, but is not binding on them.

> All that said, I did write exactly what I meant:

If you could prepare the work you're interested in packaging, and the
actual set of license terms, the discussion could get more concrete.

--
 \            “Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability.” —Edsger W. |
  `\                                                          Dijkstra |