Re: a Free Platform License?

Le lundi 28 novembre 2011 à 22:48 +0100, Bernhard R. Link a écrit :
> Either it means you are restricted how you run your computer.
> But forbidding firewalls or proxies filtering out unwanted things
> (like including any access to the source code of the application) is
> hopefully clearly absolutely non-free.
> (Even most commercial EULAs are more free than that).

I don't get the link between AGPL and restrictions on firewalls and
proxies. As soon as your version of the software provides for remote
network interaction, you must "offer" a way for them to get the source
code (in a way consistent with the rest of the license, which is exactly
the same as the GPL). It doesn't care if the interaction is behind
firewalls etc., it doesn't care either about access to the source code,
it can be behind firewalls or whatever.

> Or it does not restrict how you run your computer then this is a
> severe limitation on modification not having any positive effect to
> justify it.

Why does it limit modification? You can make any modification you like,
it just means you'll have to publish them. And yes, there is a positive
effect to justify it: the software is used by a lot of other people!
they are entitled to those modifications, like just any other copylefted
program.

Anyway, what I am looking for is more specific:

> > Since I promised I'd mention DFSG-compliance-or-not: some
> > debian-legal regulars disagree with the ftpmasters' decision to
> > allow AGPL software into Debian. I personally think the AGPL is a
> > Free license, but one with significant practical problems.
>
> I'm quite new on this list, can you point us to the rationale behind
> the debate?

Thanks,
--
Hugo Roy                           im: hugo@jabber.fsfe.org
  French Coordinator               mobile: +33.6 0874 1341

The Free Software Foundation Europe works to create general
understanding and support for software freedom in politics, law,
business and society. Become a Fellow http://www.fsfe.org/join

La Free Software Foundation Europe œuvre à la compréhension et au
soutien de la liberté logicielle en politique, en droit, en économie et
en société. Rejoignez la Fellowship http://www.fsfe.org/join