Re: a Free Platform License?

(on the Free platform license, I agree with you)

Le lundi 28 novembre 2011 à 16:11 +0000, Simon McVittie a écrit :
> I for one would be reluctant to contribute significantly to a package under
> the license you propose; I'm already somewhat concerned about the AGPL,
> which raises some interesting practical problems (particularly if parts
> of an AGPL webapp are re-used in something that isn't a webapp).

It is stipulated in the AGPL that the specific requirement under section
13 apply only if the version of the program "supports such
interaction" (typically a webapp user interaction) so if it's not a
webapp I don't think it is the case; then it makes no difference if it's
GPLv3 or AGPLv3.

> Since I promised I'd mention DFSG-compliance-or-not: some debian-legal
> regulars disagree with the ftpmasters' decision to allow AGPL software
> into Debian. I personally think the AGPL is a Free license, but one with
> significant practical problems.

I'm quite new on this list, can you point us to the rationale behind the
debate?

Thanks,
Hugo
--
Hugo Roy                           im: hugo@jabber.fsfe.org
  French Coordinator               mobile: +33.6 0874 1341

The Free Software Foundation Europe works to create general
understanding and support for software freedom in politics, law,
business and society. Become a Fellow http://www.fsfe.org/join

La Free Software Foundation Europe œuvre à la compréhension et au
soutien de la liberté logicielle en politique, en droit, en économie et
en société. Rejoignez la Fellowship http://www.fsfe.org/join