Re: a Free Platform License?

* Hugo Roy <hugo@fsfe.org> [111128 17:31]:
> > Since I promised I'd mention DFSG-compliance-or-not: some debian-legal
> > regulars disagree with the ftpmasters' decision to allow AGPL software
> > into Debian. I personally think the AGPL is a Free license, but one with
> > significant practical problems.
>
> I'm quite new on this list, can you point us to the rationale behind the
> debate?

The question is what does "Notwithstanding any other provision of this
License, if you modify the Program, your modified version must
prominently offer all users interacting with it remotely through a
computer network (if your version supports such interaction) an
opportunity to receive the Corresponding Source of your version by
providing access to the Corresponding Source from a network server at no
charge, through some standard or customary means of facilitating copying
of software." mean?

Either it means you are restricted how you run your computer.
But forbidding firewalls or proxies filtering out unwanted things (like
including any access to the source code of the application) is hopefully
clearly absolutely non-free.
(Even most commercial EULAs are more free than that).

Or it does not restrict how you run your computer then this is a severe
limitation on modification not having any positive effect to justify it.

	Bernhard R. Link