Re: a Free Platform License?

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 10:00:05AM -0500, Clark C. Evans wrote:
> > To improve signal-to-noise ratio, we far prefer discussion in this forum
> > to be on *actual* works with *actual* license terms.

>   The "System Libraries" of an executable work include anything, other
> than the work as a whole, that (a) is included in the normal form of
> packaging a Major Component, but which is not part of that Major
> Component, and (b) serves only to enable use of the work with that
> Major Component, or to implement a Standard Interface for which an
> implementation is available to the public in source code form.  A
> "Major Component", in this context, means a major essential component
> (kernel, window system, and so on) of the specific operating system
> (if any) on which the executable work runs, or a compiler used to
> produce the work, or an object code interpreter used to run it.

This definition of "Major Component" may include non-free binary blob in
non-free kernel modules.  For example, ethernel device driver, HDD RAID
driver, 3D Video driver, ...

>   The "Corresponding Source" for a work in object code form means all
> the source code needed to generate, install, and (for an executable
> work) run the object code and to modify the work, including scripts to
> control those activities.  This *additionally includes* the work's
> System Libraries, or general-purpose tools or generally available free
> programs which are used unmodified in performing those activities but
> which are not part of the work.  For example, Corresponding Source
> includes interface definition files associated with source files for
> the work, and the source code for shared libraries and dynamically
> linked subprograms that the work is specifically designed to require,
> such as by intimate data communication or control flow between those
> subprograms and other parts of the work.  The Corresponding Source
> also includes the source code for all major components of the specific
> operating system which the executable work runs, is compiled on,
> or interpreted with.  This includes any processor, storage, network,
> or display software required by the application for its operation.

Are you sure if a user uses PC with non-free NVIDIA driver as a major
component, you request this?  If this is your intention ... Or you allow
them as long as they use GNU/Linux.

Hmmm,,, I do not know why "major components" here uses lower case.  This
case differentiation trick is typical lawyer thing which is always
tricky.

>   The Corresponding Source need not include anything that users
> can regenerate automatically from other parts of the Corresponding
> Source.
>
>   The Corresponding Source for a work in source code form is that
> same work.

I did not read much in detail but just a simple observation on "Major".

Osamu