Re: Auto-acceptance of license by download a problem for 'main'?

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 18:46:04 +0200
Francesco Poli <invernomuto@paranoici.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 13:39:05 +1000 Karl Goetz wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 15:42:32 -0400
> > Michael Hanke <mih@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Dear -legal,
> > >
> > > I'm currently looking into packaging a software with a license
> > > that has the following clause:

> > > prior | to the date of the first publication of this Agreement,
> > > each a | "Contribution") and/or downloading, copying, modifying,
> > > displaying, | distributing or use of any software and/or data
> > > from XXXX | (collectively, the "Software") constitutes acceptance
> > > of all of the | terms and conditions of this Agreement. If you do
> > > not agree to such | terms and conditions, you have no right to
> > > contribute your | Contribution, or to download, copy, modify,
> > > display, distribute or | use the Software.
> >
> > Does this mean if i disagree with a part of the contribution
> > agreement that I'm not allowed to download it?
>
> It seems so.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion about it.

> And I do *not* like it at all!

I guess the next question becomes, 'Is it permissible'? I tend to feel
it isn't, but it wasnt challenged when itpd[1], and the ftpmasters are
clearly ok with it as its in the archive. Any other regulars want to
comment on this issue?

thanks,
kk

--