Re: Auto-acceptance of license by download a problem for 'main'?

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 15:42:32 -0400
Michael Hanke <mih@debian.org> wrote:

> Dear -legal,
>
> I'm currently looking into packaging a software with a license that
> has the following clause:
>
> | Your contribution of software and/or data to XXXX (including prior
> | to the date of the first publication of this Agreement, each a
> | "Contribution") and/or downloading, copying, modifying, displaying,
> | distributing or use of any software and/or data from XXXX
> | (collectively, the "Software") constitutes acceptance of all of the
> | terms and conditions of this Agreement. If you do not agree to such
> | terms and conditions, you have no right to contribute your
> | Contribution, or to download, copy, modify, display, distribute or
> use | the Software.

Does this mean if i disagree with a part of the contribution agreement
that I'm not allowed to download it? (I'm Looking at slicers
License.txt since i don't see a copy of the licence you are working
with).

> I had some concerns about the fact the users of such package would
> automatically agree to all conditions in that license even before they
> get to see it on there system. However, apparently this is not a
> problem for inclusion of such package into main -- this conclusion is
> based on the fact that the slicer package also uses exactly this
> style of license:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/s/slicer/slicer_3.6.3~svn16075-2/slicer.copyright
>
> I assume that this is OK, because the rest of the license only imposes
> DFSG-compliant constraints.
>
> Is that correct?

I find the slicer licence really dificult to understand, but i guess
we're heading down a tangent by discussing it.

Could you include the actual licence terms for the package you are
working on, perhaps with its itp bug number?
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au