Re: Auto-acceptance of license by download a problem for 'main'?

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 13:39:05 +1000 Karl Goetz wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 15:42:32 -0400
> Michael Hanke <mih@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Dear -legal,
> >
> > I'm currently looking into packaging a software with a license that
> > has the following clause:
> >
> > | Your contribution of software and/or data to XXXX (including prior
> > | to the date of the first publication of this Agreement, each a
> > | "Contribution") and/or downloading, copying, modifying, displaying,
> > | distributing or use of any software and/or data from XXXX
> > | (collectively, the "Software") constitutes acceptance of all of the
> > | terms and conditions of this Agreement. If you do not agree to such
> > | terms and conditions, you have no right to contribute your
> > | Contribution, or to download, copy, modify, display, distribute or
> > | use the Software.
>
> Does this mean if i disagree with a part of the contribution agreement
> that I'm not allowed to download it?

It seems so.
And I do *not* like it at all!

[...]
> > http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/s/slicer/slicer_3.6.3~svn16075-2/slicer.copyright
> >
> > I assume that this is OK, because the rest of the license only imposes
> > DFSG-compliant constraints.
> >
> > Is that correct?
>
> I find the slicer licence really dificult to understand
[...]

I agree.
The Slicer license seems to be an overcomplicated attempt to
reinvent a non-copyleft grant, but with lots of obscure restrictions
and clauses that (try to) forbid incorporation into copyleft-licensed
works, while still allowing incorporation into much more restrictive
proprietary works (I still cannot understand how this can be really
achieved).

I am really disappointed that such a licensing mess ended up in Debian
main.   :-(

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!