Re: BOINC: lib/cal.h license issue agree with the DFSG?

On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 03:07:23PM -0300, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> This choice-of-venue discussion looks like it won't get consensus soon, and
> it is getting us away from the original thread topic.

> How about we try this? Let's assume for a moment that choice-of-venue is
> both acceptable and allowed by the DFSG. Then look at the *rest* of the
> cal.h license terms instead of continuing the argument about this one.

This has already been done.  The license doesn't permit modification, so it
fails the DFSG.

However, it's been pointed out that the header file may not be copyrightable
*at all* because it only contains interface definitions.

> After all, if one clause is DFSG-incompatible, the file is DFSG-
> incompatible. That's enough to take action (remove the file, contact
> upstream to remove the file, contact AMD to change header license, move
> package to non-free, etc); it's irrelevant whether the other clauses are
> compatible or not.

Well, if one of the possible courses of action is to ask AMD to change the
license, I recommend having an exhaustive list of DFSG problems with the
license ready to hand, lest you find that they try to solve this by editing
their license to address *only* the issue you've mentioned.