Re: BOINC: lib/cal.h license issue agree with the DFSG?

Nicolas Alvarez writes:

> MJ Ray wrote:
>> I'm not convinced that there is consensus on choice-of-venue being
>> acceptable.  I suspect there's a mix of considering it acceptable,
>> thinking we can fight it when needed and ignorance.
>
> This choice-of-venue discussion looks like it won't get consensus soon, and
> it is getting us away from the original thread topic.
>
> How about we try this? Let's assume for a moment that choice-of-venue is
> both acceptable and allowed by the DFSG. Then look at the *rest* of the
> cal.h license terms instead of continuing the argument about this one.

Reserving the choice-of-venue issue for other discussion, this is near
the start of the license (reflowed for ease of reading):

  In no event shall anyone redistributing or accessing or using this
  material commence or participate in any arbitration or legal action
  relating to this material against Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. or any
  copyright holders or contributors. The foregoing shall survive any
  expiration or termination of this license or any agreement or access
  or use related to this material.

According to this, downloading and reading the file to evaluate whether
it infringes copyright would render one unable to file suit if one
decides that it does infringe copyright.  If I recall correctly, similar
anti-lawsuit provisions have been deemed DFSG-noncompliant in the past.

Michael