"re" module and old Python 1.6 (GPL incompatible) license?

Hi,

I already sent this to the python-dev mailing list last week[1], but
there was not much interest on the issue. Here is the original
message:

###
I noticed that some files of the "re" module still have the (GPL
incompatible) 1.6 license notice. Is that on purpose or
unintentionally forgotten?

If that is on purpose, does that mean that some GPL Python code cannot
use the "re" module?

For reference, here are the links to these files (from trunk):

http://svn.python.org/view/python/trunk/Lib/re.py?view=markup
http://svn.python.org/view/python/trunk/Modules/_sre.c?view=markup

Additionally, the files below do not have a complete license header,
or they just point to one of the files above:

http://svn.python.org/view/python/trunk/Lib/sre_compile.py?view=markup
http://svn.python.org/view/python/trunk/Lib/sre_constants.py?view=markup
http://svn.python.org/view/python/trunk/Lib/sre_parse.py?view=markup
http://svn.python.org/view/python/trunk/Modules/sre.h?view=markup
http://svn.python.org/view/python/trunk/Modules/sre_constants.h?view=markup
###

On Debian, all pythonX.Y packages seem affected. I don't know the
better solution for this, but the old license boilerplate just seemed
forgotten on these files.

[1] http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2009-July/090305.html

Regards,
--