Re: Is AGPLv3 DFSG-free?

2008/9/3 Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org>:
> MJ Ray wrote:
> "You should also have the freedom to make modifications and use them
> privately in your own work or play, without even mentioning that they
> exist. If you do publish your changes, you should not be required to
> notify anyone in particular, or in any particular way."
>
> Where does the AGPL interfere with either of the two sentences here? The
> right to private modifications for your own use is maintained, and the
> right to publish without specific notification is also maintained.

I guess that the source of non-agreement here is what each of us
understands by "use them privately".

It seems that some of the people here consider that making any kind of
usage of a computer network implies public usage, while some of use
believe that it depends on what kind of relationship is between the
program and the entity at the other end, in the sense that it's not
the same to use a service provided by a web app or, in the case of
PySoy, to remotely play the game, than to interact with a network just
as a peer there, as for example in the case of an IRC client.

The line might be quite thin here, so it might be hard to reach an
agreement in this. I think that if you use a program without providing
a service to remote users, even though you might be interacting with
them in some way, or even downloading information from them, but not
providing them an active service, that should be still interpreted as
"private use".

Greetings,
Miry