Re: [Fwd: Re: [gNewSense-users] PFV call for help.]

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 11:01:35PM +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
> > > * line 81-83: "OpenVision
> > >    also retains copyright to derivative works of the Source Code, whether
> > >    created by OpenVision or by a third party." I think this could threat
> > > this software freedom.
> >
> AIUI this says that openvision has copyright to derivative works, which
> is a fact anyway.  There can be multiple copyright holders, and in the
> case of a derivative work created by a third party, there will be.  I
> don't see what's non-free about that?

On further reflection, I'm inclined to agree. The fact that it says
"OpenVision *retains* copyright" strongly implies that it is simply
talking about maintaining the status quo, not about changing any
copyright ownership. If the intention was for copyright to be assigned
to OpenVision then clearer wording to this effect would be needed.

It's still unfortunate to have confusing and unclear language in the
licence, but it's not non-free.

John

(TINLA)