Re: [Fwd: Re: [gNewSense-users] PFV call for help.]

Karl Goetz <kamping_kaiser@internode.on.net> writes:

> ... I think the license of krb5
> (http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/k/krb5/krb5_1.4.3-5ubuntu0.2/)
> has two unclear sections regarding freedom:
>
> * line 18-21: "Export of this software from the United States of
> America may require a specific license from the United States
> Government. It is the responsibility of any person or organization
> contemplating export to obtain such a license before exporting."

This clause doesn't appear to have any additional effect on the
recipient; I can't see that this could be interpreted as anything but
*informing* the reader of requirements that (may) already exist.

> This section may not suit freedom 2: The freedom to redistribute
> copies so you can help your neighbor.

Since it's not imposing any restriction (merely drawing attention to
ones that may already be imposed), I don't see that it affects the
freedom of the work.

> * line 81-83: "OpenVision
>    also retains copyright to derivative works of the Source Code, whether
>    created by OpenVision or by a third party." I think this could threat
> this software freedom.

Yes. This adds a requirement that doesn't exist under copyright law:
"you, the creator of a derivative work, will surrender copyright in
that work to OpenVision". That's a significant cost to pay, and it's
written in the license as a term of deriving the work at all.

This seems to be over-reaching on the part of the licensor, and may
make the work non-free.

--
 \               "There's no excuse to be bored. Sad, yes. Angry, yes. |
  `\    Depressed, yes. Crazy, yes. But there's no excuse for boredom, |