Re: [Fwd: Re: [gNewSense-users] PFV call for help.]

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 08:44:12 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:

> Karl Goetz <kamping_kaiser@internode.on.net> writes:
>
> > * line 81-83: "OpenVision
> >    also retains copyright to derivative works of the Source Code, whether
> >    created by OpenVision or by a third party." I think this could threat
> > this software freedom.
>
> Yes. This adds a requirement that doesn't exist under copyright law:
> "you, the creator of a derivative work, will surrender copyright in
> that work to OpenVision". That's a significant cost to pay, and it's
> written in the license as a term of deriving the work at all.
>
> This seems to be over-reaching on the part of the licensor, and may
> make the work non-free.

AIUI this says that openvision has copyright to derivative works, which
is a fact anyway.  There can be multiple copyright holders, and in the
case of a derivative work created by a third party, there will be.  I
don't see what's non-free about that?

Cheers,
Julien