Re: Hinner EDV: Correct Logo Usage?

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:01:53 +0200 Toni Mueller wrote:

[...]
> On Sat, 07.04.2007 at 01:40:02 -0700, Steve Langasek
> <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> > What rock have you been hiding under for the past two years while
> > there has been an ongoing, project-wide discussion about how to
> > handle our logos in a manner that allows us to protect trademarks
> > while respecting the DFSG?
>
> it looks like *I* have been hiding under some rock (TBD) because I
> cannot remember this discussion. Pointers would be welcome.

A starting point could be:
and the debian-legal thread it belongs to (that actually slipped to
-legal from -project).

> That notwithstanding, as far as my understanding of trademark law
> goes, there's no way that you can allow unrestricted logo use while
> retaining a trademark. If there was a discussion in Debian that ran in
> the opposite direction, I think at least a GR would be required to
> waive the trademark.

As you know, there are two Debian logos: the Open Use Logo and the
Official Logo.
For the former, we are trying hard to let it comply with the DFSG (the
current plan is to license it under the Expat, as far as copyright is
concerned, and impose no trademark restrictions).
For the latter, it seems it will stay non-free because of trademark
non-free restrictions.

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/doc/nanodocs/etch_workstation_install.html
 Need to read a Debian etch installation walk-through?