A possible weakened rephrase of clause 5d [was: Re: GPL v3 Draft 3- text and comments]

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 20:50:27 +0200 Francesco Poli wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 12:26:42 +0100 Gervase Markham wrote:
>
> > Francesco Poli wrote:
> > > Clause 5d in GPLv3draft3 is basically unchanged with respect to
> > > previous drafts.  It's worse than the corresponding clause 2c in
> > > GPLv2... :-(
> [...]
> > > I would like to see clause 5d dropped entirely.
> >
> > I agree that it's not very good. Given that persuading the FSF to
> > drop the clause entirely at this late stage is unlikely, can we come
> > up with  a form of wording to suggest which at least makes it no
> > worse than GPLv2?
>
> Well, I think that clause 2c of GPLv2 is already suboptimal (even
> though not so bad to become non-free) and should have been weakened in
> GPLv3, rather than strengthened, as it currently is...
>
> Anyway, we *could* perhaps try to rephrase it in a weaker form,
> assuming that the FSF won't drop it, but could consider weakening it,
> instead...  I don't know whether that will actually be the case, but
> maybe it's worth trying.
> It won't be easy, though: the simplest solution remains dropping it
> entirely, IMO.  I will try and find the time to draft something and
> come back later (or at least, I hope...).

OK, this is my attempt to rephrase clause 5d in a form that is weak
enough to be less harmful than clause 2c of GPLv2:

~~~~~~~~~~~~ begin proposed text ~~~~~~~~~~~~

     d) If the Program has interactive user interfaces which display
     legal notices, this feature must be preserved in each interactive
     interface that is also present in the work.  In this subsection, an
     interactive interface is said to "display legal notices" if it
     includes a convenient feature that displays an appropriate
     copyright notice, and tells the user that there is no warranty for
     the work (unless you provide a warranty), that licensees may convey
     the work under this License, and how to view a copy of this
     License.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ end proposed text ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Constructive critics and suggestions are welcome.

For reference, here's clause 5d of GPLv3draft3:

|    d) If the work has interactive user interfaces, each must
|    include a convenient feature that displays an appropriate
|    copyright notice, and tells the user that there is no warranty for
|    the work (unless you provide a warranty), that licensees may
|    convey the work under this License, and how to view a copy of this
|    License. Specifically, if the interface presents a list of user
|    commands or options, such as a menu, a command to display this
|    information must be prominent in the list; otherwise, the
|    work must display this information at startup.  However, if the
|    Program has interactive interfaces that do not comply with this
|    subsection, your work need not make them comply.

and clause 2c of GPLv2:

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/doc/nanodocs/etch_workstation_install.html
 Need to read a Debian etch installation walk-through?