Re: The legality of wodim

* Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam@benfinney.id.au> [071117 23:55]:
> In addition, according to other posters in this thread the term
> "Urheberrecht" is better translated as "author's rights".

I think the only usefull general translation is "copyright law", because
that is what a native of an English speaking country would most likely
call it if you described to them what it means.[1]

There are of course differences in philosophies and actual effects, but
those exists with almost every word.

Some examples: The translation of "contract" (in the legal sense) to German
is "Vertrag", which is almost the same, except the philosophy behind it
differs. (I was told buying something in a store normaly includes a
contract about buying, a contract about changing ownership of the good,
a contract about changing ownership of the money, a contract about changing
possession of the good and a contract about changing possession of the
money, each being (to some degree) independent of the others and happen
at different times). Which can causes questions "Is this a contract?" to
sound strange when translated to German.

Also always good for confusion is "freedom of speech", which translated
and verbatimly translated back would be something like "freedom of
opinion", as with those the difference are even a bit larger, as parts
of freedom of speech are here other things like "freedom of arts",
"freedom of science" and so on.

btw: if you want to translate Urheberrecht verbatimly, you might either
end up with "author's right" or "law regarding creators/causers/originators".
One cannot even say which of those is more verbatim or more in meaning.

[1] There are differences, but most of them are just procedural. Like
you cannot transfer copyright, but grant an exclusive license and so on
and so forth...

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link