Re: The legality of wodim

On Sun, Nov 18, 2007 at 01:45:24PM +0100, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> * Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam@benfinney.id.au> [071117 23:55]:
> > In addition, according to other posters in this thread the term
> > "Urheberrecht" is better translated as "author's rights".
>
> I think the only usefull general translation is "copyright law", because
> that is what a native of an English speaking country would most likely
> call it if you described to them what it means.[1]

The English legal term that seems the closest equivalent is "moral
rights": the right to be identified as author, the right to object to
derogatory treatment of the work.

In this case, to remove all attribution from the original software
author would fall under the first of these rights, and producing a
buggy version and claiming it was the work of the original author
might well fall under the second. (Except that the UK law excludes
software from the scope of moral rights, so all this is only really by
way of illustration.)

All that is quite separate from copyright, which covers certain acts
such as copying, distribution etc, and which is a transferable and
licensable property right rather than an inherent right of an author.

John

(TINLA)