Re: Debian-approved creative/content license?

Please don't send copies of list messages to me via email, I didn't
ask for them and it's annoying to receive them. Please follow
<URL:http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/#codeofconduct>.

Ismael Valladolid Torres <ivalladt@punkass.com> writes:

> Ben Finney escribe:
> > Careful. This doesn't distinguish programs from other intellectual
> > creations; there is a huge amount of artistry in programming.
>
> Sure from a programmer's point of view, but just ask an artist who
> knows something about programming which amount or artistry is there in
> each one of the activities.

Then, since you agree there is artistry in programming, and I didn't
make any comparison of which has "more artistry", I ask you to stop
presenting "artistic" as if it's a property that doesn't apply, or
applies only insignificantly, to programs.

> > All that's required to meet "source" [for a non-program work] is
> > the preferred form of the work for making modifications.
>
> Again I agree but there exists "sampling" which is a way for making
> modifications of existing material without the need of "source". Just
> think about collage...

I don't see your point here. Such activity would also be permitted
under a free license, but the freedom to make *only* those types of
changes would not be sufficient to call the license free.

> > Programs, documentation, data, audio and images do not have clear
> > dividing lines. They can all be represented digitally, they can
> > all be interpreted in different categories depending on the need.
>
> But "artistry" can't be represented digitally so that's the bleeding
> edge where efforts should stop.

No one is attempting to encode "artistry" digitally and distribute it
in Debian.

Artistic software works, however, have *always* been distributed by
Debian. Some of them are programs, some are documentation, some are
data; some are several categories simultaneously, or at different
times.

All of them need to be licensed freely to be included in Debian.

--
 \     "I was born by Caesarian section. But not so you'd notice. It's |
  `\    just that when I leave a house, I go out through the window."  |