Re: Debian-approved creative/content license?

Ben Finney escribe:
> Careful. This doesn't distinguish programs from other intellectual
> creations; there is a huge amount of artistry in programming.

Sure from a programmer's point of view, but just ask an artist who
knows something about programming which amount or artistry is there in
each one of the activities.

> Sure, if we refuse to define "source" then ipso facto we can't tell
> what it applies to.

I agree with this.

> If, instead, we *define* the "source" of the work so that it's as the
> GPL defines it, then all these impossible-to-provide environmental
> factors you cite are not required. All that's required to meet
> "source" is the preferred form of the work for making modifications.

Again I agree but there exists "sampling" which is a way for making
modifications of existing material without the need of "source". Just
think about collage...

> Programs, documentation, data, audio and images do not have clear
> dividing lines. They can all be represented digitally, they can all be
> interpreted in different categories depending on the need.

But "artistry" can't be represented digitally so that's the bleeding
edge where efforts should stop.

> What they all share is that they can all be covered by copyright, and
> thus licensed. I recommend that such a license not be restricted to a
> particular field of endeavour.

Again more or less I agree.

> Here we agree. I think all free licenses should be compatible, to
> allow maximum freedom of creativity and sharing in the work.

Cordially, Ismael
--
Ismael Valladolid Torres  m. +34679156321
La media hostia           j. ivalladt@gmail.com

http://lamediahostia.blogspot.com/