Re: Debian-approved creative/content license?

Ismael Valladolid Torres <ivalladt@punkass.com> writes:

> In the case of artistic creation

Careful. This doesn't distinguish programs from other intellectual
creations; there is a huge amount of artistry in programming.

> it also happens that one can't tell where "source" ends.

Which is why the GPL's definition is useful: the "preferred form of
the work for making modifications to it". That's not binding upon
interpretations of the DFSG, nor is it immune to conflicting
interpretations, but it's pretty good.

> Take as an example a photography. The "source" of the photography
> involves the place where it was taken. But not only, it also
> involves the daylight the picture was taken with, the people passing
> by, why not also the inspiration of the photographer.

Sure, if we refuse to define "source" then ipso facto we can't tell
what it applies to.

If, instead, we *define* the "source" of the work so that it's as the
GPL defines it, then all these impossible-to-provide environmental
factors you cite are not required. All that's required to meet
"source" is the preferred form of the work for making modifications.

> I insist, artistic creations can't use the same licenses as
> documentation or software.

Programs, documentation, data, audio and images do not have clear
dividing lines. They can all be represented digitally, they can all be
interpreted in different categories depending on the need.

What they all share is that they can all be covered by copyright, and
thus licensed. I recommend that such a license not be restricted to a
particular field of endeavour.

I insist that if we believe freedoms are required in digitally-stored
information (i.e. software), it doesn't matter what ephemeral
interpretation is placed upon that information: the same freedoms
should apply to all recipients of that work, for any purpose, or the
work is not licensed under free terms.

> The effort must focus on make artistic licenses and other ones as
> compatible as posible. This seems obvious to me.

Here we agree. I think all free licenses should be compatible, to
allow maximum freedom of creativity and sharing in the work.

--
 \     "I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury."  -- |
  `\                                                      Groucho Marx |