Re: IEEE copyrighted files in vhdl tools

On 12/19/06 07:50, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:
> Hi,
> I've filled an ITP[1] on a freehdl. The upstream authors licensed it as
> GPL, but I've found in the source tarball one vhdl header file

How did you determine the upstream authors didn't have permission?

> ( ieee/numeric_bit.vhdl), with this copyright message:
>
> ############################# -- Copyright 1995 by IEEE. All rights
> reserved. -- -- This source file is considered by the IEEE to be an
> essential part of the use -- of the standard 1076.3 and as such may
> be distributed without change, except -- as permitted by the
> standard. This source file may not be sold or distributed -- for
> profit. This package may be modified to include additional data
> required -- by tools, but must in no way change the external
> interfaces or simulation -- behaviour of the description. It is
> permissible to add comments and/or -- attributes to the package
> declarations, but not to change or delete any -- original lines of
> the approved package declaration. The package body may be --
> changed only in accordance with the terms of clauses 7.1 and 7.2 of
>  the -- standard. -- -- Title      : Standard VHDL Synthesis
> Package (1076.3, NUMERIC_BIT)

This sounds exactly correct to me.

It's a standard. You can't change it. If you want to change it, you
have to petition the IEEE VHDL standards body.
http://www.eda.org/vhdl-200x/

Happy hacking,
Jeff