Re: Legal status of tkchooser (microsoft logo used)

"Jeff Carr" <basilarchia@gmail.com> wrote in message [🔎] 458B016F.2040108@gmail.com">news:[🔎] 458B016F.2040108@gmail.com...
On 12/21/06 11:00, Daniel van Eeden wrote:
The file /usr/lib/tkchooser/icons/winpop.pnm from the tkchooser package
uses an
microsoft windows logo. Is that legally permitted?

Please CC or BCC me, I'm not on the list.

That's probably considered fair use for the purpose of which it was
intended. I'd guess Microsoft is unlikely to complain. In any case,
you should ask the tkchooser authors about it and they can contact
Microsoft if they think it is necessary.

The use there does appear to fall under trdamark fair use.
If there is no copyright problems with respect to the image (which could happen if the image is taken directly from one in windows, for example) then there should be no problem with that image.

IANAL, IANADD