Re: Linux Magazin Germany, affecting Debian's image?!

On 7/17/06, Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> wrote:
You were perfectly right until that last sentence.  If I buy a copy of the
magazine, with the DVD, and it contains a written offer to provide source
code for the GPL material on the DVD (thus satisfying section 3 via 3b) I
can redistribute that DVD non-commercially to other parties, giving them the
written offer provided by the magazine (thus satisfying section 3 via 3c).
The magazine is allowed to charge at-cost for the source distribution, so as
not to leave themselves out of pocket.

Correct, I forgot about 3c. Still, the point is that only purchasers
or people who the purchasers have given it to non-commercially have
the right to get the source at cost price. The GPL does not require
anyone to give anything away for free, except the source at cost

Andrew Donnellan
Jabber - ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
GPG - hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0x5D4C0C58
Member of Linux Australia - http://linux.org.au